Create a card
The Issuing Cards API allows you to create cards issued to businesses or individuals. After determining your issuing solution (see Choose your issuing solution), you can start building your integration for your business requirements.
This tutorial guides you through the steps for creating cards issued to businesses. For integration information on cards issued to individuals, see Create individual cards.
- Contact your Airwallex Account Manager to enable Cards, Issuing APIs, and other required configuration for your Airwallex account (see Integration checklist).
- Obtain your access token API by authenticating to Airwallex using your unique Client ID and API key. You will need the access token to make API calls.
- Make sure you have sufficient funds in your Airwallex Wallet for future card spend. For more information, see Fund your issuing balance.
- Ensure your onboarding obligations have been met and your account is active.
- (Optional) Set up webhooks to receive notifications on card events.
To create a business card, submit Create a card API request by providing the following parameters.
issue_to: Set this to
ORGANISATIONto indicate that you want the card issued to a business.
purpose: The purpose of the business card’s usage. If you do not provide a value, defaults to
BUSINESS_EXPENSES. Other possible values:
VIRTUALto indicate a virtual card. Physical cards for business cards are currently not supported.
type: The type of card. If you do not provide a value, the default configuration on your account setting is used. Possible values:
created_by: Your full legal name.
request_id: Specify a unique request ID.
primary_contact_details: Use this object to provide details of the primary contact of the business card, including name, email, mobile number.
authorization_controls.allowed_transaction_count: Specify whether the card is a single (
SINGLE) or multi-use (
MULTIPLE) card. Single-use cards can only be used for one successful debit transaction.
authorization_controls.allowed_transaction_limits: Set limits on transactions such as transaction amount, intervals, etc. See Transaction limits.
The response returns the card object with all the request parameters, and the following card details:
card_id: A unique identifier of the card object. You can use this to:
- Retrieve the full PAN and CVV using Get sensitive card details API (see Step 2).
- Check if you have sufficient funds on the card for your future spend using Get card remaining limits API to
- Retrieve details of the card object including card status anytime using Get card details API. If you want to retrieve details of all cards issued to your account, see Get all cards API.
- Update the card object for transaction limits, allowed currencies, allowed merchant categories, etc., using Update a card API.
card_number: A masked card number.
card_status: The status of the card (see Card statuses). The card will automatically transition from
ACTIVEfor virtual cards so you can proceed to transact immediately.
As an Airwallex customer, you can retrieve your business card's sensitive details such as full PAN and CVV anytime after card creation. Use Get sensitive card details API by providing the
card_id in the endpoint URL.