Supported card types
Learn about the different card types supported by Airwallex Issuing.
Business vs. Individual cards
Business cards are associated with your business while individual cards are associated with a named individual who is a representative of your business. Both cards offer the following benefits:
- Visa cards
- 0% international transaction fees
- Multi-currency cards that draw from your Wallet balance for the transaction currency; if funds are insufficient then Airwallex auto-converts from your home currency (see Fund your issuing balance)
- Ability to set a number of authorization controls such as card limits, MCC controls, etc
- Ability to edit, freeze or cancel cards anytime
|Feature||Business cards||Individual cards|
|Purpose||Business expenses, software subscriptions||Individual expenses such as employee travel expenses (airfare, hotels) or meals, entertainment, insurance policy holders, etc.|
|Form||Virtual only||Virtual /Physical/ Digital (Google Pay, Apple Pay)|
|Access||As an Airwallex customer, you can retrieve sensitive card details of your business cards, and also manage the card (edit, cancel or freeze).||As an Airwallex customer, you must be PCI compliant to retrieve sensitive card details of individual cards or alternatively serve up card details via PAN delegation (does not require PCI compliance); you can manage cards (edit, cancel or freeze). Individual cardholders are able to view card details (via PAN delegation) and also manage their cards (cancel, freeze, etc)|
|Name on card||Airwallex account business name||Individual name|
|PIN||N/A||Supported. As an Airwallex customer, you must be PCI compliant to retrieve the PIN of individual cards or alternatively serve up the PIN via PAN delegation (does not require PCI compliance)|
|Card controls||Supports all||Supports all|
|Pricing||Free||Contact your Airwallex Account Manager|
|Whitelabeling||Yes||Yes (for physical, virtual, and digital cards)|
Virtual vs. physical vs. digital cards
|Stored on your phone to pay contactless in stores or online, but has its own unique card number, expiry date, and CVC||Physical card format with card details embossed on the card.||Can be added to the individual’s digital wallet (Apple Pay, Google Pay, etc) for easy, contactless purchasing if supported in the applicable region.|
|Activation||Activated automatically after creation and can be used to transact immediately||Manually activated upon receiving the card at the delivery address or pre-activated via the API.||Only active cards can be added to digital wallets.|
Other card types
Airwallex supports the following card types when you create business or individual cards. Please contact your Airwallex Account Manager for regional availability of these card types.
- Prepaid: Works like a debit card where funds are accessed from your Airwallex Wallet.
- Debit: Accesses funds from your Airwallex Wallet. Accepted anywhere a credit card is accepted.
- Good Funds Credit: Requires you to have sufficient funds in your Airwallex Wallet for pre-authorization, which is followed by a capture to deduct funds.
- Deferred Debit: Deferred Debit card available for OTA (Online Travel Agent) customers.