A Linked Account is a verified external financial account (such as a bank account, credit/debit card, or e-wallet account) that is bound to an Airwallex account. Currently, we only support linking bank accounts owned by the business that signed up for the Airwallex account, or one of its Ultimate Beneficial Owners (UBOs). Learn how to use Airwallex API API to set up a linked bank account and add funds via direct debits.
- Obtain your access token API by authenticating to Airwallex using your unique Client ID and API key. You will need the access token to make API calls.
- Contact your Airwallex Account Manager to enable Linked Account APIs on your Airwallex account.
- Set up webhooks to receive notifications on Deposit events (currently only available for direct debit deposits).
- As a platform, you can call all Linked Accounts API endpoints on behalf of your connected accounts by specifying the connected account's open ID (in the format
acct_xxxxxxxx) in the
x-on-behalf-ofheader of your API request. To learn about how you can register as a platform and set up this solution, see Global Treasury and Banking as a Service solutions.
To successfully link an external bank account, Airwallex must first verify its ownership. Airwallex offers two options to verify the external bank account:
- Open Banking: Verify by securely entering your credentials in an Open Banking modal. Currently, this is available for Linked Accounts in the United States, the United Kingdom, and Europe (SEPA region).
- Micro-deposits: Verify by entering micro-deposit amounts sent to your external bank account.
We recommend Open Banking, as it allows you to complete the process in just a few minutes, and enables you to Check Linked Account balance before creating direct debit deposits. However, if your external bank account is in a region or with a bank not supported by Open Banking, please proceed to use micro-deposits.